Irrigation systems ensure the grass and foliage in your compound are alive and beautiful. They help you save a lot of time because the essential benefit of an irrigation system is that you will not have to monitor your lawn more frequently. For you to get the benefits that are associated with the installation of irrigation systems, you need to buy the right ones.
One of the crucial factors to consider is the quality of the systems. The poorer the quality of the system, the less efficiently it will work as compared to standard quality. For better results, invest in high-quality systems that will last for a long time and consume little water. You should also buy the most common brand of the system because the more popular the brand is the better the unit. Find more here on the best irrigation system.
Hereby is a brief overview of the best irrigation systems
Sprinklers use innumerable tools to water your garden in droplets like natural rain. High-Pressure sprinklers are used in this type of system to spread water from a certain point in the garden. Sprinklers on moving platforms can also be used for irrigation. This method can be used in any size of a garden or yard regardless of the type of soil.
Sprinkler irrigation does not interfere with the soil compaction as compared to the use of a hosepipe. It ensures even the distribution of water. Hosepipes interfere with the soil compaction by allowing a lot of water to seep into the soil. This makes nutrients leach out of the land making the land less fertile. The plants or grass may start to wither or develop root diseases. Using this type will ensure your plants are in good shape and state. This method ensures there is sufficient water in the soil to support the plant’s growth.
Drip irrigation uses multiple networks of pipes and tubes for irrigation. This system allows nutrients and water to drop directly onto the roots hence saving on water. Since water drips gently out of the pipe onto the designated location more energy is saved. It has four components which are suction, regulation, and control button. Drip irrigation helps minimize the evaporation of water and the potential growth of weed in your garden. This ensures your plants do not suffer from leaf diseases. It works best in rows of plants keeping only the necessary areas of the soil moist to boost the plant’s growth.
Routine maintenance is required to ensure there is no blockage in the pipes. This irrigation suits every type and size of landscaping. It works best in light soils. It ensures greener lawns and more luscious gardens. This method also eases the fertilizer applications on the plants hence increasing yield. It increases productivity in dry or arid lands thus improving the capital value of the land.
Drip irrigation is one of the most efficient types that ensure good water management. It can stop at any time to avoid overwatering the plants. This can lead to root rot.
In surface irrigation, water is supplied to the field with the help of gravitational force. No irrigation pump is required in this type of irrigation. This method is mainly used in food crops and orchards. The efficiency of this method is based on the type of soil and crop. It is suitable for places with a high amount of water and for plants that require a lot of water. Surface irrigation works best in windy regions. This method is suitable for making your garden and lawns greener and beautiful. Surface irrigation does not work in sandy soils because of high infiltration rates. There are 3 types of surface irrigation namely:
- Furrow irrigation- In this method, water is irrigated to the plants through furrows spaced between 0.1-0.3 meters. This method requires less technical knowledge as compared to other types of irrigation systems and less capital investment is required. It is the cheapest irrigation system that can be adopted by small-scale farmers who are not able to invest in expensive ones. It is suitable for crops or plants grown in rows like maize, sorghum, and rice. Siphon tubes are required to supply the water from the ditches or the central point to the furrows.
- Basin irrigation – In basin irrigation, basins that are proportionate to the size of the crop or plants are prepared then connected with irrigation channels. It is the simplest type of irrigation. Water moves from one basin to another. This method encourages the gardener to practice intercrop cultivation. This is because there is enough water to sustain and boost the growth of the crops. The amount of water flowing from each basin can be regulated to avoid overwatering the plants since this may cause damage to the crop.
- Border irrigation- In border irrigation, the field is divided into blocks and borders. Water flows between dikes through the blocks with free drainage at the end. The dikes ensure there is sufficient water in the blocks. This method is suitable in regions with slopes. It is easier to manage irrigation in this irrigation system.
Before settling for the best type of irrigation system, the following considerations should be made.
- The type of soil texture to determine the amount of water that the soil can retain.
- The size of the field.
- The topography of the field.
- The type of the crop.
- The cost of water supply in the region.
- Cost and labor requirements associated with the irrigation system.
In conclusion, effective irrigation is essential for the growth of plants. Water is essential to facilitate the growth of plants. The above article clearly illustrates the best irrigation systems that can work best in your field. There are plenty of benefits that come with installing irrigation systems like increased yield and soil retention.