Imagine a situation where you come back home from work and plan on watching your favorite TV show after dinner. You get comfortable, you turn on your TV, just to see a ‘no signal’ message – quite annoying right? Well, you should opt for measuring your TV antenna signal.
If you need and want to measure the strength of your TV antenna signal, this article can help you quite a lot. The text below is going to feature a how-to guide for measuring the reception, as well as some of the reasons why it might be weak or non-existent. Let’s take a closer look at the article:
A How-to Guide For Measuring Your Antenna Reception
Step 01: Disconnect The Coaxial Cable
The very first thing that you should do is to disconnect the 75-ohm coaxial cable that goes from your television set to the antenna placed on your roof or the side of your home. If you have an indoor antenna, you should also first disconnect the coaxial cable. Once done, you can move on to the next point.
Step 02: Attach The Connector
Keep in mind that you’ll need to purchase a Pwr (dBm) measuring device that will tell you the condition, as well as the strength of your signal. Hence, attach the ‘F’ connector to the end of the coaxial cable, and then to the input connector on the measuring device you have opted for.
Step 03: Turn The Device On
You should turn on the measuring device and turn the tuner to the lowest numbered channel that is broadcasting in your hometown. However, if you have an antenna rotor or a directional indoor dish, you should turn it up until it reaches the highest levels. Do not forget to write down the results.
Step 04: Proceed With Measuring
You should use a compass in order to read the direction of the highest one. Next, you should continue measuring each succeeding channel. Remember, you’ll need to go up the scale until you reach the highest level. Again, you’ll need to write down each of the results you are getting.
Step 05: Transfer The Cable From Output to Input
Once you are done with all the aforementioned steps, you should then detach the coaxial cable from the measuring device, and then you should place it to the input location on the NM (dB). Continue the same processes mentioned above, and do not forget to create a new column next to your previous measurements. If there are any differences, ensure that you circle them.
Step 06: Calculate The Strength
You can use the readings you got in order to calculate what the average strength direction is if you do not own a rotor-controlled antenna. But, if you are using one, then you should put your readings next to the rotor box and turn the antenna in the best direction when tuning in to that particular channel.
Now, if you are completely sure that you can do all of these things on your own, then you can do it right away. However, if not, you can always opt for hiring professional services that can help you with determining what is wrong. If you want to see what services you can opt for, check out this website.
What Might Be Causing Disturbances?
There is actually a wide range of things that might be causing disturbances to the reception in your home. Some of the things that you might consider checking includes:
- Check The Interior And Exterior Cables – the first thing you’ll want to check is all the cables inside and outside your home. The ones on the outside might have been damaged by rain, wind, and snow, while the ones on the inside might have been disconnected by you or chewed on by your pet. Hence, ensure that you check if they are in good condition.
- The Aerial Needs to Be Properly Positioned – for instance, if the broadcasting towers near you are to the South, your aerial dish cannot be placed to the west. Why? Well, the satellite dish won’t be able to catch the waves. So, find out where the towers are and ensure that your aerial is faced in their direction.
- There Should Be No Metal Objects – metal can easily cause interference with the reception you are receiving, which is why you must check whether or not there are metal objects around your satellite dish. If there are, then you should opt for removing them. But, if you cannot remove those objects, you might want to consider moving the aerial to a different position.
- Moving The Satellite Dish Higher Can Help – your satellite dish needs to be at a high position in order for it to catch the signal efficiently. Hence, if you placed it lower than it should be to work properly, ensure that you hire someone to change the location of your aerial.
- There Should Be No Obstacles – another thing that you need to consider is that there are some obstacles such as buildings, trees, hills, and houses between your dish and the broadcasting towers. If so, you should, again, consider moving the satellite dish to a different location in order for it to receive the signals.
Again, if you are scared of heights or if you think that you might not do all of these things properly, you should opt for hiring someone to help you. Not only will they know what they are doing, but, you’ll also be able to ensure that everything is okay with your aerial and signal.
As you can see, it is not that difficult to calculate what your signal strength is. Also, ensure that you go through the list of possible reasons why your signal might be weak, especially since you might be able to fix your aerial immediately. So, now that you know how you can measure your signal, as well as what might be hindering it from working properly, do not waste any more time. Instead, determine what is wrong, fix it, and finally enjoy your favorite TV shows and movies without any issues! If you still dont feel confident. Don’t worry. There will always be a specialist for everything. You can get assistance with your signal strength and even the installation of a new aerial should the situation require it. So rest assured you will get your relaxing Friday nights back with your favorite TV series.